Thursday, November 20, 2008

Reflections of Interactive Teaching Methods

We have provided a sample of an Ice Breaker actviity we conducted with the Indian teachers.
We have also included a reflection given by an Indian teacher after participating in Reynolds' mock "first day of school" activity. Reynolds' simulated what a typical introductory day of school would be, using the Indian teachers as her students. The purpose of this trial was to introduce activity based lessons where the students were encouraged to interact with one another. Quite different from the traditional lecture based classrooms of India, this American concept of interpersonal communication skills was found valuable by the Indian teachers.

6 comments:

  1. are all these people speaking indian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben!!! These teachers speak English with thick accents. Their main language is Hindi. Great question.

    :)Miss Bailin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Bailin, did you have to wear traditional clothes to the seminar or just regular clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were you the one interviewing the Indian teacher? The lighting was to dim for me to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sierra,

    This is Ms. Reynolds responding.

    We did not need to wear traditional clothes to the seminar, but I usually wear Indian garments while I teach at the school. I have found that it is less distracting to the students when I look like all of the other teachers and they are more comfortable doing their work. When I wear American clothing I tend to call attention to myself which I do not like in the school setting.

    Good question!

    Ms. Reynolds

    ReplyDelete
  6. Devon,

    This is Ms. Reynolds. I was the speaker who was interviewing the teacher on the video. Miss Bailin did get a chance to share her thoughts about gifted students and special education in U.S. schools as well.

    Keep your questions coming!

    Ms. Reynolds

    ReplyDelete